Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A New Begining

After putting a stop on Maze Mover, I have decided to take a few steps back and learn some basic Windows Programming.  Well at least the Win32 API.  Mostly this is because I am going to work with DirectX so I should get familiar with the Windows based calls. 

The SDL API did some interesting changes on top of the standard Win32 API while using Visual C++.  Then again SDL is meant to be more platform independent, so it might have to step on some established toes.  Right now this is my suspected reason for the conflicts I had with Python. 

Now I did some of the basic "Hello World" apps from MSDN, but it was a little lacking on describing all the Window-isms.  Mainly what are all these typedefs they have running around like "LPSTR."  After a bit of googling I am now running though theForger's Win32 API Tutorial.  And it is doing what I want.  Telling me what all the little bits mean.  I was at the point where there were too many foreign items I had to figure out and no Rosetta Stone to start determining my translations.

This site looks to be as good of a start as any.

0 comments:

Post a Comment