Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Monday, October 4, 2010

Flying though the sky

So I have finished all of Chapter 4 and I am on the final exercise of Chapter 5 of the RTS programming book.  Right now I am have an issue with the vertex shaders and the terrain.  Once again, this will require going though the example code and taking a look at mine to see what little step I have forgotten.

So far it is just a fancy terrain map with some functions for later use.  Most of the problems I have encountered so far usually stem from tying to understand the subtleties of graphics programming in Direct X.  It is kind of interesting, I am not much of an artist so I don't know much about creating texture files and actual models.  However, I know all the math that goes on behind the scenes.   Matrix multiplication and inverses.  Using dot products to find projections and distances.

I am getting in to DirectX.  Well at least I am enjoying programming 3D graphics.  It just makes sense.  Put things in the world, then "do the math" to show it on the screen.  I was thinking about writing my own 2D Isometric view engine, but being the engineer that I am, I would rather use someone else tools then build my own. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment