Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tinker Tinker

Seems like I have found my groove right now.  I kind of suspected that there would have been the mad rush at the beginning of the project to work on it and it would peter out a bit over time.  At least now I am getting a better sense of how long this will take.  At first I was stary-eyed and had great plans and thinking "how hard could this be."  Though I knew it was not a simple undertaking, but still I did not have enough exposure to fully understand what I needed to learn.

At this point I am slowly working my way though the RTS programing book.  Though I have started to do things more in my own way then blindly copping from the text.  The primary reason was not knowing enough about DirectX to do things better than what was stated in the book.  But now I am entering in to the Logic stage of the game design and not so much dealing with DirectX itself.  I think when I am done with the DX9 version of the game, I can then start to replace everything with DX10.  That exercise will help me get a better understanding of the structures and methods of the game engine itself.  

I am trying to keep the DirectX9 parts of the program limited to a small number of classes.  That way I can just replace the underpinnings.  We will see how that goes.  But it is a good idea for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment