Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Friday, September 3, 2010

FORTRAN is the Latin of Engineering

If you went to Engineering school in the 80's you most likely had to take a programing in FORTRAN class.  As I started in 1989, I too took FORTRAN.  Two years later, entering freshmen learned C instead of FORTRAN.  Granted I also took the C programing class as an elective, but FORTRAN was the required language.  Also I think my year was one of the last years to have a mechanical drawing class with actual boards, pencils and T-Squares.  And although I had my father's slide-ruler, we were allowed to use electronic calculators. 

So learning "old" technology is very comfortable for me even if it is academic.  Such is how I feel right now working with DirectX9.  It is on the way out since XP is finally no longer allowed to be put on new systems and soon that will be moot since it wont have the support of new hardware anyway.  I should be learning DX10 or DX11.  However there is a lot more written and available for DX9.  Currently most of the books of the variety "Programming $GAME with DirectX" are written for DX9.  So I have a lot more examples to pull from.

Now in my case $GAME = RTS. Though I do have access to the online copy of RPG as well.  So between the two of them I am getting a good idea of all the moving pieces that go in to a fairly typical, though small, game that I want to create for YAR.

I have found learning "old" methods very useful, though it has pigeon-holed me a few times.  On the other hand, I am one of the people that can bring grognards up a few centuries and use at least more modern equipment then what they were using.  Also since I am spending as much time learning the concepts of 3D graphics programing (like texturing and  transforms) I can use all the examples I can get.  My quick look in to DX10 shows that the concepts are still there but the implementation has changed (like Vertex and Index Buffers.)   You still have to know how to use those items from a conceptual standpoint regardless of the API.  When I poke a OpenGL sometime in the future, I will not have to learn basic 3D programing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment