Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Friday, September 10, 2010

Hitting a New Wall

I am slowing working my way though Programming an RTS Game using Direct 3D.  Only on Chapter 4 but I am taking my time to go over the code in the book and the full code on the CD to understand what I am doing.  Not to mention going back to some DirectX resources to see why I am doing what I am doing.

However, I have hit my first real stumper.  Some how I am getting corrupt memory in my initializations.  Annoyingly it happens at slightly different points in the code when I run it.  But the error is some type of heap corruption or other misaligned memory.  Unfortunately I have yet to see where the real problem is.  Also the example code itself runs fine, yet mine does not.  Now being the good learner, I am adding my own coding paradigm to the example code, so there are differences.  But I am not sure what difference is causing the error in question.

The upside is that I am getting more familiar with the Visual Studio Debugger.  It is kind of fun and for the most part I have been able to figure it out.  Right-Click is your friend.  Now I am still a little green trying to read some of the raw assembly code, but I got though reading UNIX trace/truss commands so this will just take some time to start seeing the patterns that have useful information.

0 comments:

Post a Comment