Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Maze ing

So here it is...Sort of.  The beginning of my Pac-Man like game.  Still needs quite a bit, but this is fairly significant. 

First off, I was able to use the tile board from before, but I the player token (Pac himself) is larger than the single tile size.  So I had to do some adjustments to the collision detection for the board.

Also there was some rework to get all the Resources and Entities to use my INI file reader to load in the information.  Since the board is just a collection of tiles, I can whip up a new one by changing the INI file.  However, I don't have a mechanism to load a new level.

Lastly I still need to get the tunnel to work.

That is all the small things to fix.  I still have to add the ghosts along with their own AI.  That should be fun since there are two major parts for me to learn.  First is looking at basic AI logic itself.  Fortunately the Four Ghosts of Pac-Man have fairly simple AI and they are somewhat well defined.  I just will have to understand the math and not figure it all out on my own.  The second part is adding the AI logic via a scripting interface.  I am leaning towards Python over Lua since I have more practical uses for knowing Python.  But I suspect that after I do it for one, most of the logic will carry over for the other.  Just a different syntax.

I would like to have this done by July 4th, but that will depend on how much time I have to spend traveling over the next few weeks.  My company is sending me off to three different regions for IT security roll out.  Joy.  Travel is good for reading, but not so good for coding. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment