Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tower of Bable?

As you may have noticed, not much on the "new" programing this week. That is because I had the joy of flying around to perform IT related upgrades. Although there is a lot of time wasted while traveling, not much of if is directly conducive to getting any quality programing. I do have time to read more so I have started Effective C++. In short this will be a book that I will read again in the future.

What has been difficult is to resit tearing down everything that I have done already and start from scratch. Already I have a host of ideas that I would rather do. But for now, I will stick with what I have and get the Maze Mover game out in some form. Mistakes is where learning happens.

I am slowly making process to integrating Python in to the game. Lots of trial and error and figuring out what libraries are needed where. I had to build the Boost libraries from scratch since they currently don't have an explicit build for VS 2010. But that was not too bad. Just taking time to get all the paths in place.

This is far from the first time I had to build the tools I needed to use in order to use them. Before I made my first production level Perl script for managing back-ups, I had to debug the build and install of Perl on a Sparc 2. Now a days, things are fairly standard enough that I don't mind doing compiles. But back then there were quiet a few things that you may have had to tweak by hand in the build script and makefiles that it could take a day just to get the compile to complete.

It was very nice just to type "make" (or in this case "bjam") and let it go its merry way. Add the path to my VS config and I was underway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment