Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to the grindstone

The hectic month that July seems to be is finally over. With work sending me off to different locations and Comic-Con, it kind of disrupts focus. Granted, I should have still worked though it, but a few other games got my attention. While at Comic-Con, I did get to run to one of my game designer friends, so that too has help rekindle my fire.

Okay, now back to the project. Maze Mover is at a curious juncture. I am running into issues with my design. Namely that for the most part no entity has any awareness of any other entity, except when I check for collisions. And even then I can only consider pairs of entities at a time.

The problem that this creates is that the "Ghosts" need to know both the location of the player and have information regarding the board. This during the update function, I do not have the information to find the path.

Also in this regard, I don't have any means yet to create new entities on the fly without declaring them when the game starts.

Right now, I am adding a few hacks on top of things to get it to work. But after I get this done, I think it will be time to scrap this heap and then start working on the main project. The first part of that will be start with a simple design document. Sure "Rogue based game" sums up quite a bit, but there is still a lot that needs to be done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment