Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Another Bow On It

The Rev 2 Connect Four is up and out the door. Once again you can get it from SourceForge again. Today's joy in building the install package was more fighting with Visual Studio again an nothing code related. It seems that when you set your mode to "Release" in Visual Studio it decides to just bypass assert() functions completely. So parts of the code that actually started the whole game were skipped.

A minor issue, but a good lesson in understating you IDE and compiler.

So what is next?

Next will be what I have called "Maze Mover." This will be an exercise in map tiling, camera focus, as well as basic collision detection between the player controlled object an the map walls. This will include map generation via predefined map files and some experimentation in to random map creation. The latter will be the first foray in to procedural content. Movement is to be done with the mouse, though I might start with keyboard input for the camera controls. The plan also includes doing some art production of my own for the tiles. I should take some time to work on my artistic skills.

Depending on how this goes, I may work on the Collision Box exercise as well. This will be the foundation for dealing with multiple entity collision detection and resolution.

After that, I am not sure what I will do next. Either some type of Break-out game or a might experiment with first person view type games. I have a few books on my list to read so that may give me some ideas where to explore next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment