Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Monday, May 31, 2010

Holiday Times Means Lots of Quiet

So it is a day off from work and having no real Memorial Day plans, I am looking forward to many hours of uninterrupted programing. I just finished my breakfast and morning reading of C++ for Game Programmers and about to dive in to the code.

Lots of ideas to implement today. So we will see what I get done. First I need to finish collision detections between the game board and pieces on the game board. Also I need to create some form of data file loading function. In the "wish list" today is to create a File, Resource and Entity Manager systems. At least get some foundation ideas in place.

Now once I get the collision system in place, I would have enough to work on my Pac-Man game. However, much of the information would have to be hard coded. So at the very least I need some level of data file system.

Aside from the lower level resource management items, I will need to create a AI system as well. Pac-Man is a good AI programming exercise since you need to create 5 different AI scripts.

With all the other events I have for June, I plan to get a release version of Pac-Man done by the end of the month. But if I am lucky that may come out sooner.

After that, I suspect that I will have most of the tools I need to start working on YAR itself. Or at the very least work on additional foundation items such as adding scripting support and developing the RPG aspects of YAR.

So much to do today before the quiet is gone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment