Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Flavors Need to Rest Overnight

Today was a non-code day. After pretty much getting the final task done for the next rev of Connect Four, I thought I would let it rest. Also I avoided looking at any other parts of my own code. That isn't to say I did not think about various design aspects. I found another SDL tutorial site (which I will go in to detail later when I finish it) and I have been reading up various articles from the IGDA and GameDev.net. I am almost done with Code Complete and should have my review of that up later this weekend as well. The next text book should be arriving tomorrow.

Going over the new Tutorial site has given me quite a few ideas on how to redesign my current set of classes. So I have been doing object diagrams in my head all day. My lovely woman likes to say how cute it is when I am such deep though because I have this intense look and I mumble quite a bit. That is one reason why I like to code alone :) But as it may be, I will spend some time "between" projects to put some of these redesign ideas in to place.

After today's research at GameDev.net, I have come to the conclusion that I am much further along towards "breaking in" then I had originally thought. I think part of my advantage is that I already have some experience in marketing oneself for jobs. Not to mention a decent collection of degrees and professional certifications that have some value in the Gaming Industry. Much of the advice given out is fairly basic job hunting skills. Also it is about setting expectations.

I also confirmed that I am not really in a good area geographically to get a job at a computer gaming company. There is Sony, and Sony. Okay Rockstar has a satellite studio here in the San Diego area. But that is it. If I were up the coast a bit in Oceanside, I would be much better off. At least the trek to Irvine would be a hard but doable daily commute.

So while I am stuck here in San Diego for a while, I will make the best of it and program away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment