Rogue is a dungeon crawling video game first developed by Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman around 1980. It is generally credited with being the first "graphical" adventure game, and was a favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, in part due to the procedural generation of game content.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Strawberry Waffles

This morning's breakfast was strawberry waffles. What does this have to do with game development? Well not that much but it was yet another aha moment for my journey. My lovely woman was craving pancakes this morning and since we were out of mix, we went to the local IHOP. She did comment that since I started this project, I have found new passion again. And I got to thinking how I could keep this going.

The original goal of this project was to create a portfolio of game programs that I could use to join a game studio as some level of programmer. But then I got to thinking, what about going Indie? There are times I am glad that I got my MBA. I am already running though marketing and business plans.

One important lesson I have picked up from B-School and other sources, is that creating the product is the easy part. In this case, writing computer games and programming is fairly straight forward for me. I don't have any doubt that I could create some rogue like game in the time I have allotted myself. Though to make money off of it is a different story.

Torchlight sells for 20 $US and is a very detailed game and well done. So that sets a benchmark for what people expect for a 20 dollars game today. They have a small studio of about a dozen employees. I am good, but matching the work of that may people would be a bit of a stretch at this moment.

So ideas are being processed and shifted. There are some promising paths that need to be researched, so time will tell what happens next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment